It’s recipe time again! I’m declaring my love of breakfast by giving you a summer themed one to eat outside in those blazing sunny days that we’ve been having, HA, if only? If you’re like me and from the UK I’m sure that you’re pretty done with this supposed ‘summer’. Can Autumn come along already? Ok summer can be the best part of the year and we always look forward to it. Bbqs in the garden, picnics in the park, long daytime hours, ice creams and wearing dresses without tights. But in my case that means wearing a jumper and a big jacket on top to compensate, keepin’ those kidneys warm, I am the master layerer!
However, let’s not get too down about things, the weather isn’t everything. Make the most of British berries whilst they’re at their best, drown them in cream and eat with a glass of Pimms. Possibly you’re sat on your sofa wrapped in a blanket watching the new series of The Great British Bake Off instead of in the garden, but no one needs to know, it’s our secret!
So, summer weather breakfasts. For those mornings when you wake up and the thought of porridge just doesn’t get you going. You feel the need for something fresh and cool, but filling and sustaining. Welcome this matcha cacao smoothie bowl to your morning scene. Super thick and creamy, think along the lines of pimped up ice cream. There’s only a little banana for sweetness and a special other ingredient, so don’t be expecting a sugar crash 1 hour later, full of healthy fats from the peanut butter and avocado, and hello 1 serving of green veg before 9 am, GET YOU!!
Please go mad with toppings, that’s what makes it fun. Ok don’t channel the froyo shops and crumble every biscuit in the tin on top and then half a bar of chocolate. I was thinking more along the lines of granola, fruit such as sliced banana or berries, coconut, seeds, cacao nibs, bee pollen, goji berries, chia seeds, whatever you fancy really. The kitchen cupboards are your oyster. Without further ado, I’d better give you the recipe before it starts snowing and we’re all back on the porridge bandwagon. Here you are, enjoy my lovelies!
Cacao matcha smoothie bowl
Perfect for those summer months, or in the winter if you are mad and want cold food. A creamy dreamy smoothie bowl, that will keep you going all morning long and give you a little boost to get your day started. Try adding a handful of cacao nibs in once it has blended smooth, give it a quick final whizz and then pour into your bowl for a chocolate chip version.
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 handful spinach
- 2 tbsp frozen peas (trust me with this one)
- 1 tbsp rolled oats
- 1 tbsp peanut butter (or any other nut butter)
- 1 tbsp protein powder (I use hemp protein)
- 1/2-1 tbsp raw cacao powder (depending on how chocolates you want it)
- 1/2-1 tsp matcha powder (again depending on your preference)
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 50ml-150ml plant milk/ water (start with a little bit, if it won’t blend add a bit more until a consistency you like)
- chopped fresh fruit e.g. Banana, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, mango, kiwi, choose your favourite
- Cacao nibs
- Coconut flakes
- Chopped nuts
- Extra nut butter
- Goji berries
- Chia seeds
- Bee pollen
- Freeze the banana the night before if you don’t already have any in your freezer
- Add all the ingredients to a blender. I use a nutribullet and I would recommend one of these or a similar strong blender if you want to keep it really thick. If you only have a stick blender or yours isn’t strong enough you will need to add more liquid and maybe leave the banana and peas to defrost slightly before blending
- Add a little squidge of lemon, this cuts through the bitterness you can sometimes get from green veg in smoothies
- Blend with the milk or water until completely smooth and you are happy with the consistency
- If you are very slow like me at making smoothies, pop in a few cubes of ice when you blend it to make it thicker and stay nice and cold.
- Pour or spoon into a bowl, then sprinkle, sprinkle, sprinkle to your hearts content
- Remember chew your smoothie! Your stomach with thank me later
Make the most of the last of the summer weeks, try something new, get outside in the fresh air and get those legs out in the sun, even if they’re pasty white and bruised don’t worry everyone’s the same, we’re British!